Saturday, January 7, 2012

January Flowers


While Jim is in Florida, I went exploring with my 
new Christmas camera. I've never before lived
 in a climate where wildflowers bloom 
every month of the year---even in January! So, 
I'll try to post a flower a month to 
show you what beauties are here...

Oxalis Pes-caprae or Bermuda Buttercup

Here's an up-close shot. This grows all over the place. Roadsides, hills...
Lantana or verbena, I think. I've seen shrubs of this in
landscaped areas, so I don't think it's wild.
It probably was planted at some point on the side of this cliff, but it
 continues to grow unattended.

This is the same little plant we buy potted in the summer in Saratoga.
Here it grows into bushy 6-foot tall shrubs!


And last, but not least, is Lobularia Maritima or Sea Alyssum.
 At least that's my best guess.
 It grows in the grass by my office, up in the hills by the beach
and any sandy spot it can find.

That's all for now. Hasta luego! Deb


No comments:

Post a Comment